12/17/12

Pants or no pants? The Mormon feminist movement


I haven't done any really serious posts yet on this blog... but there have been several experiences this past week where I've felt I should say something on the topic of feminism and my beliefs as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Whenever someone asks me what I studied at BYU, I say my major, Asian Studies, but I also throw in my minor, Women's Studies.  I do this because I put in so much work in my minor that it changed the core of who I am.  No other class has changed me more and opened my eyes to so much than my class with Dr. Valerie Hudson.  The class was "The International Political Economy of Women."  If you aren't familiar with Dr. Hudson's work, PLEASE read this article. When she gave this lecture in class about the creation, the Plan of Salvation, marriage, motherhood etc., I was completely in awe.  Since that day, those insights have helped to shape who I am today.  {If you are interested in reading other extremely insightful articles by Dr. Hudson, a good place is squaretwo.org.  Other intelligent people also give their LDS perspective on a variety of issues.}

While rummaging through Facebook, I noticed people commenting a lot on this "Wear Pants to Church Day" post.  This sparked my interest and I took a peek.  I was completely shocked by some of the extremes-- on both ends of the spectrum.  Where did I stand?  To be completely honest, I stood appalled.  Not at the event itself, which was a little humorous, but by one of the comments.  To summarize, a young woman said that the inequality in the church was men were ordained with the priesthood, while women just gave birth to children-- something that just happens and that it was nothing special.

Ouch. Being a mother now... nothing special?  That moment when I met my little son for the first time, after I had carried him within me for 9 months... all of that was nothing according to this woman.  It was biology, and why should we acknowledge and celebrate biology?

Sadly though, I believe this is the notion that most LDS women believe: that the equality of men and women is this:
men having the priesthood = women being mothers

Being a woman who grew up hearing this, this doesn't sit very well, especially when you are a budding feminist and believe that you are just as important, smart, and worthy as a boy.  Why does this not sit well?  Because of the statement that the young woman on the Facebook event made: priesthood is ordained, women just "get it."  It doesn't sit well because the priesthood is revered and those holding the great callings of our church are all men, and also because we know that pregnancy and especially labor/delivery is painful. it's scary. it's unpleasant.  So why do men get such a great gift and women get such a painful "blessing?"  Why do men get to have such great jobs out in the world and women have to stay home?  Why do men get the briefcases and women have to clean? (please note, this last question was particularly hard for me because I was not a neat child.  The briefcase was much more appealing than the dishes.)  These are the questions that I pondered even as a small child.  Did I want to get married?  Did I want to have kids if it just didn't seem that great?  Did I really want to be a mother if people who talked about motherhood weren't so happy about their lives?  What was happiness for a woman-- being a mother? being a career woman?  What has our key to happiness?

In this article by my friend Kelsey, who was also in Dr. Hudson's class with me, she also addresses this issue.  She states this:

Priesthood is NOT the equivalent to motherhood.

FATHERHOOD is the equivalent to MOTHERHOOD.

This is the equation.  THIS, my fellow feminists, friends, and family, is the key to equality between men and women-- not just in the church/home, but for the world.  So what does that mean for the priesthood?  What does that mean about the blessing to bear children for women?  As Kelsey charts out:

I don't think I need to explain "create" in both columns.... or nurture and provide, but "birth" in each of the columns is the key: "Birth" in the motherhood column.....  also self-explanatory.... but birth in the fatherhood column.  What is that?  That is the priesthood. And how is that the priesthood?  The priesthood, just as women bring physical children to this earth, men, through priesthood ordinances, bring God's children into the covenant.  Both men and women have the power to bring forth God's children in their own ways.  (Dr. Hudson's article, linked above, explains this in much more eloquently.) 

But what about the worthiness question?  Why is priesthood dependent on worthiness but bearing children not?  Yes, women do not have to live worthily to become pregnant and have a child, but women do need to live worthily to bring children into the covenant.  And that, if you are a faithful LDS member, you know is a gift.  To be born into the covenant is a blessing that is too often overlooked and taken for granted.  I was born into the covenant and I often thought, "Man, it'd be cool to be a convert."  But now in retrospect, I was so blessed to have a worthy father and a worthy mother to bring me into this world.  It needs to be both a worthy male and female to bring children into the covenant.  It doesn't matter if that man holds the priesthood.  The wife needs to be on board.  

A lot of the confusion also stems from the question of why men receive a painless gift and women a painful one.  My answer is, after prayer and pondering of the scriptures (again, this is personal), that giving birth is a sacred experience that is in similitude to Christ's Atonement.  Christ's Atonement was for our salvation, and salvation is life.  In 1 Cor. 15:22, "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."  Through the Atonement, mankind is made alive.  Just as the immense pain Christ felt while atoning for our sins so that we may be saved and have eternal life, women go through immense pain in order to bring a new life to this earth.  Through Christ we have life; through mothers we have life.  

I know that the Gospel truth is, "motherhood is equivalent to fatherhood."  I know that God made Adam and Eve to be equal partners when it comes to parenthood.  {See "The Family: A Proclamation to the World").  Unfortunately, the people in the church (and out) are imperfect and we seem to teach otherwise.  That is why I believe it is our job as members of the church, as members of this society, to teach the truth.  Instead of pushing for women to be just like men (and wear pants), we should be celebrating and recognizing womanhood.  If the problem is inequality in visibility between the men and women in church, is the solution trying to mold/shape women into male shoes? Or is it making women's gender roles more visible in church discussions and settings?  We are women and we should be proud to be women.  Being one of the boys is not going to higher the pedestal that women are on. If anything, it increases the men's and still leaves the women behind.  I don't have a problem with the message behind the Pants Movement.  I have a problem with the symbol-- the pants itself.  

To the women of "All Enlisted" (the creators of the Wear Pants to Church Day), I applaud your efforts to bridge the gap of inequality between males and females in our church.  To the women who have felt sadness from being treated poorly, in any circumstance or setting-- I feel your pain.  Let us all band together and show that WOMEN are powerful.  Women deserve more recognition for their abilities in being mothers, nurturers, sisters, daughters, and most importantly, members of society.  We are equal to men in our own ways.  I pray that until the day the Savior comes, we will make an effort for women to be recognized for their own stewardships, responsibilities, and characteristics that make us priceless in our God's plan.  

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I leave this post here on your blog and not on facebook so as to not be ripped apart by those who arent LDS and dont understand the gospel teachings. with that said, i think there is a very backwards view of what the priesthood does for men. i as a priesthood holder cannot use the priesthood on myself. no, in fact, i must be worthy so that my ability to use the priesthood on others will be validated through Christ.
    My personal belief is that women tend to be more charitable, more caring, and in a lot of cases, more righteous than men. i believe that the RESPONSIBILITY of holding the priesthood is to bring men closer to a womans level by forcing us to be more charitable and more Christ-like. there is a reason why women run the relief society. if men ran the relief society, i think too many people who need charitable care would fall through the cracks!
    This whole pants movement baffles me. in Elders quorum, the underlying topic is always "how to be more righteous and be better husbands for our wives". if anything, men should be trying to wear dresses (just an example of a mens movement) trying to get the equivalent level of respect that is womanhood in the church. and shame on any man that places women in less of a place than that. Heavenly Father loves our Heavenly Mother so much and respects her so much that he provide no way for her name to be taken in vein like his is on a regular basis.
    I believe that the priesthood doesnt place men above women but allows us to attempt to be as compassionate and caring as a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ginnie! Well-written and respectful, as always. Beau, I just wanted to comment briefly on your conclusion that women are more charitable than men. That's a generous conclusion, and one that I've always struggled women. I think we sometimes super-focus on gender as a list of qualities, rather than a part of us that defines a stewardship. The Savior is the best example-- if you review his qualities without considering his gender, what would you conclude? Is he a strong leader, a masculine servant who tosses publicans out of the temple and commands the stormy seas with his priesthood power? Or is he a feminine nurturer, who always welcomes the children, who weeps with his sorrowing friends, and clasps the hands of the sick while healing them with his perfect love?

    He is both. And we are all meant to be both, and if we come with certain qualities beforehand, I'm not convinced it's because of our gender but rather who we are individually as spirits. I guess I see the Priesthood as the tool that God has specified in this life to help men grow into eternal fathers-- it produces both gentleness and leadership. It's no respecter of gender-stereotyped qualities.

    Though well-intentioned, I believe that when we gender stereotype qualities, we make the church an uncomfortable place for the many men and women who don't fit into that mold. In the end, we're all supposed to develop all qualities, and our complementary and overlapping stewardships allow us to do that indiscriminately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "struggled with" *not* "struggled women"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ginnie! You basically did a great job explaining something I already believed, so now I know more concretely what I believe. And Beau and Kels both have great comments. I'm going to hold on to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ginnie, I do appreciate a well thought out post on this issue. And I'm looking forward to many interesting discussions with you in book club, cause this comes up all the time!

    Just want to add that this equation of priesthood = motherhood is tough for those of us women in the church who are not married or without kids. I think there must be another facet to this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rereading this, I think the "Born in the Covenant" portion is particularly spot on. The greatest responsibilities of life require the "equivalents" to become synergistic to fulfil the stewardship fully. Born in the covenant, which is on church membership records, is indeed a tremendous blessing that requires worthiness of both partners.

    To add a dimension to the term "birth" in both columns, what of foreordination of bear the priesthood. Could there be, is there, or must there be an equivalent to this. Since gender is a part of eternal identity this is not something foreordained though it likely relates to what is foreordained. Consider the following definition:

    "In the premortal spirit world, God appointed certain spirits to fulfill specific missions during their mortal lives. This is called foreordination. Foreordination does not guarantee that individuals will receive certain callings or responsibilities. Such opportunities come in this life as a result of the righteous exercise of agency, just as foreordination came as a result of righteousness in the premortal existence." https://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=0&sourceId=34c67c2fc20b8010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=bbd508f54922d010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

    Notice that foreordination is about fulfilling a mission (not limited to what is typically referred to as the 'priesthood') Comments?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginnie, this is the best article/blog I have seen on this topic. Well done. One thing I would add is that I think there is a misconception on the part of women in thinking that the Priesthood is a painless gift. I know that men do not go through the same thing as women, emotionally, spiritually or physically but ask any Bishop, Stake President, or any priesthood leader that has to do worthiness interviews and they would be quick to tell you that it is taxing on their whole souls. All priesthood responsibilities, with the caveat that they are taken seriously, are rewarding and painful at the same time. The Lord has given us pain and trials to help us grow, to humble us and to help us become more like Him. He wants us to understand His Atonement more completely and in these painful responsibilities we learn that. Just as men will never fully understand the pain of bearing a child i think that the assumption that bearing the priesthood is all glory and no pain is indicative of the same kind of ignorance.

    Thank you so much for writing this article. You're the best Ginnie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well-written Ginnie! I loved the column of comparisons between motherhood and fatherhood. I hadn't thought of it like that before, but I agree. And Amen to what Karl said.
    Both men and women have essential roles in God's plans. We need each other and one gender is in no way more important or valued by God then another. I think a lot of the misunderstanding on this topic stems from a need to better understand our relationship to God and our divine nature and individual worth. If we understand God's nature how could we believe that men are favored above women or vice a versa? We both have divine roles that, when working in harmony, bring us closer to God and allow us to assist Him in fulfilling His Plan of Salvation.

    ReplyDelete