3/2/12

Auden's story

Happy One Week Birthday, Auden!! 

I was debating whether or not I should post Auden's birth story, but I felt that I should share some of the details and my thoughts/feelings on one of the most special and amazing events in my life.

Nelson and I had an ultrasound appointment on the morning of February 23rd.  We received the results  and the estimated weight of our baby was... drumroll... 8 POUNDS 15 OUNCES-- pretty much a 9 pound baby.  What?? Where did that come from??? Just last week the doctor was estimating that the baby was 6.5 lbs and we were worried about him being underweight.  Just in case, I called my doc's office and scheduled an appointment that day.

When I went in, they told me that because of the results, we should go in that day and induce me rather than wait in order to lessen the chance of a c-section.  So I should head to the hospital now.  We were going to have our baby.

I called Nelson on the way and explained things to him.  We walked back home together with my parents [they were in town at this point-- my dad got his wish! He was going to see the baby while he was here!] and started to get ready.  Strangely, I wasn't feeling too nervous and scared.  A peace came over me as I mentally prepared for the change that was going to come.  Because our hospital is so close to our place and getting our car and driving, parking, etc. would take longer, we ended up just walking [I think it's a fun part of our story to say we walked to our hospital. :)]

At the hospital, they started me on Pitocin.  The first hours of labor while on Pitocin weren't bad at all.  Nelson and I watched "Chopped," talked, walked a little bit.  The painful contractions started after they broke my water.  Wow.  Luckily I had done yoga and knew how to yoga breathe, because I couldn't remember anything from the childbirth classes.  Nelson was by my side the whole time.  Holding my hand and telling me encouraging words.  The pain was, as they say, something I've never felt before and now that it was happening, it was very real to me how much I needed my husband to hold my hand and be my partner through this whole thing.  I didn't need anything else, just him to keep telling me I could do this.  I wanted to hold off as long as I could before getting the epidural.  I remember during one of the breaks between contractions [at this point, they were about 30 sec - 1 min breaks] Nelson said he would take the epidural for me.  I thought it was pretty sweet.

After a while I got the epidural.  Our anesthesiologist was amazing.  I had heard horror stories about epidurals and wasn't sure how I would handle it.  I was pretty scared, but it turned out that the needle wasn't too painful, but contractions in the process was pretty bad.  It kicked it right away.  How in the world do women do natural childbirth?? I was a happy camper after that.  Nelson and I took a nap as the epidural did its magic.  I don't know if they kicked up my Pitocin while I was out, but two hours into my nap, my doctor was standing next to me, then checked me and said that it was time!

About an hour of pushing, we finally met our little boy.  I felt his squishy body, saw his beautiful face [and head full of hair!], heard his cry, looked at Nelson... it was one of the most heavenly moments in my life.  Our little boy was in my arms.  I had officially become a mother to this sweet and innocent being that was ours.

The night that Auden was born was one of the most special nights of my life.  Not only because my child was born, but also because the process and Auden coming into this world taught me many things.  My relationship with my husband is at a new level of trust and love.  The nurses kept commenting on how impressed they were with our teamwork and relationship.  I was impressed with how well I handled the pain.  It's true when they say that our bodies were made for it.  I loved feeling the empowerment of "Yes, I can do this!" And, there is such thing as love at first sight. My little boy taught me that.  I loved him the moment I knew he was coming, but I really loved him the moment I saw him.  I love you, little guy.  My sweet little Auden.



5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ginnie! I'm sure you are on top of the world with happiness :) yay!

    How do you say the little one's name? O-den? Ow-den? A-den?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Others have asked that same questions. It is pronounced, "Awe-den", "Awe" just like the beginning of audio, audacious, audible, or audubon with "den" at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom said she read this to my dad and he was impressed with what a good writer you are. I agree!! In such a beautiful way I felt like I could understand a lot of the emotions and tenderness and be able the timeline and what happened.

    I LOVE THE PICTURE OF NELSON. HE LOOKS SO HAPPY. And has those red eyes from fatigue and tender emotions that speak volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Ginnie! I kept checkin your blog hoping you had posted the story! I am so glad you shared! You did amazing and I'm so happy your little guy is with you now. He is just beautiful (really, and I don't think all babies are created equal amounts of cute). I hope I get to meet him sometime!
    P.S In response to your question, which I know was rhetorical, but I'm responding anyway: contractions on pitocin are MUCH different than unmedicated contractions. pitocin makes them very close together and forces the uterus to contract super hard, instead of buidling slowly in intensity. You are a rockstar for holding out with pit contractions as long as you did! You go! That is not an easy thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm I'm crying. I love you Ginnie!

    Laura Fafard

    ReplyDelete